Prom season is upon us and we want to be sure you’re ready to promenade in style! With that in mind, here is a short list of “Do’s and Don’t’s” to help you along your journey as you prepare to glam-it-up.
1. DON’T Spend a Fortune on a Dress – Prom dresses are like wedding dresses in that you will more than likely wear them only once.
DO Consider affordable and fabulous alternatives:
- JC Penney’s has fantastic dresses including those from Pearl, a line designed for the store by Georgina Chapman of Marchesa.
- RentTheRunway.com rents gorgeous designer gowns, hand bags, jewelry and finishing touches for a bargain!
- Craigslist – so many girls have spent small fortune on prom attire and you can reap the benefits.
- Upscale Second Hand Boutiques are brilliant for gently used formal wear and the ideal place to find vintage gowns and accessories.
2. DON’T wear a Tiara! They’re underwhelming and passé.
DO pick a Glamorous piece of hair jewelry like this one by Oscar de la Renta
3. DON’T stuff yourself into tight dress – there’s nothing lovely about looking like a stuffed sausage promenading across the dance floor.
DO choose a dress that suits your figure and complements your best features. Peplum flares, lace, jeweled cap sleeves, asymmetrical long sleeves, even cape sleeves – play up your best and play down the rest.
(Dress – Oscar de la Renta Spring 2013)
4. DON’T confine yourself to floor-length, pastel, poofy gowns. This is your chance to express yourself.
DO Consider all of your options. Go for modern, vintage, romantic, bells, whistles. Metallics suit every skin color!
(Feather-Trim Cocktail Dress by Marchesa Couture)
5. DON’T be afraid to be different!
DO be the girl who shows up in a simple dress with an outstanding statement piece. These shoes by Dolce & Gabbana are the ultimate statement pieces.
6. DON’T forget the bag!
DO make it part of your ensemble.
(Clutch by Marchesa)
7. DON’T stress about finding the perfect dress. Save that energy for the wedding gown.
DO find a good dress and make it the best! Being uniquely glamorous is being the best version of yourself. Your greatest accessory is a smile, a great sense of humor and a great attitude.
Vanessa Moline ~ Sweet and Sassy Fashionista and Trend-setter Extraordinaire